Thursday, September 17, 2015

Week 1 Game Design - Choosing the Game

Living Like Floyd

By: Bishoy

As the leader of our game design group, I had the responsibility of choosing the card game that we would work on bringing to life this semester. To do so, I wanted to make sure that each team member had the opportunity to fully explain his game in order to make the best possible choice in the end. I chose to describe my game last because I wanted to give both my teammates the chance to go first. As we discussed each game, I asked each person to explain any parts that weren't completely clear to me. We also discussed any potential major problems with each game and tried to think if a certain problem could be easily solved.

To choose the best game, I considered some important parameters. I wanted our game to be original, fun to play and simple to understand. As we discussed Sun's game, I felt that this would be an interesting and fun game to play however, overall we realized that it would be a better fit for a board game rather than a card game and so we decided not to go with that game proposal. Next, we discussed Jon's game which consisted of cards with directors' names as well as actors' and actresses' names who would star in a potential movie. Although this game made use of a new unique theme, I felt that the design and the idea behind the mechanism of it were too similar to those of Apples to Apples. For that reason, I decided to go with my game proposal which, I along with Jon and Sun felt delivered a new, catchy game concept. Originally my game was titled, The 1%, however we felt that a name like Living Like Floyd would be much more interesting and appealing to players. When people hear the name Floyd, most think of Floyd Mayweather, the champion boxer. Besides boxing, Floyd is also known to showcase his numerous expensive gadgets, ranging from his private jet to his excessive jewelry collection. In Living Like Floyd, players will compete against each other to build these "rich accessories."

As a team, we began thinking about the mechanics of the game last week. Changing the name was the first step that we took in the process of making this game. We are communicating with each other now via Groupme and will continue to modify the game until we come to our final product.

No comments:

Post a Comment